Before becoming vegan, I made this many times. I used to make these for my daughter to take to kinder, and today I made them so she can take them to school for her lunch. The original recipe uses Greek yoghurt. I made it with Coyo which is vegan.
They are super easy to make. I have often used this dough as a pizza base, and also add 1 heaped tablespoon of nutritional yeast. Yum!
1 cup of white spelt flour (plus 1/4 - 1/2 cup for kneading)
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 cup of Coyo (Coconut yoghurt)
a pinch of salt
1/4 cup of passata or pasta sauce
A pinch of oregano and thyme
2 tbs Bio Vegan Cheese (Grated)
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees celcius.
- Prepare a cookie sheet by covering with non stick baking paper
- Put flour and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add yoghurt and form a dough.
- Empty bowl contents onto a well floured bench, and knead for a couple of minutes.The dough will be quite sticky and will keep absorbing more flour from the bench.
- When the dough has come together. Roll it out into a large rectangle, about 3 mm thick.
- Spread the passata on the dough, and leave a 5 cm edge on the long side without sauce. Sprinkle with herbs and cheese.
- Roll up into a long sausage and cut into scrolls.
- Place on the cookie tray and bake for 15-20 minutes.
These can be frozen in an airtight container.